Low-Carb Living ~ Bok Choy & Bacon and The Skinny Rules

Friday, August 24, 2012
Hoping you've had a wonderful week. Mine was busy, busy, busy - hoping for some down time over the weekend. On a sad note, next Thursday is my last one off for the season. I'll go back to working a 5 day week after Labor Day weekend. While I am looking forward to getting an extra hour of sleep each morning, I am sad to be losing my day off during the week.


I am always on the look out for recipes that showcase low-carb foundation vegtables in a new (to me) way. This week Bok Choy was on sale - I went in search for something *new* to do with it. I combined a couple different recipes and came up with this one -- very, very yummy. Spicy and smoky flavors go so well with greens.
Bok Choy & Bacon



4 slices bacon, chopped
2 pounds bok choy
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 small red onion, sliced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste



Fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon and drain the fat, reserving one Tablespoon of the dripping in the skillet. Add the olive oil, onion slices, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook, stirring over medium heat until the onions are starting to be tender. Add the bok chop and place a lid on the pan. Let cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the lid; cook and stir until the bok chop is tender but still crunchy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon, and season with salt and pepper. Yields: 4 servings.



Each serving 97 calories, 6.6g carbs, 4.6g fiber = 4.0g usable or net carbs.



I also wanted to share The Skinny Rules with you this week. Bob Harper of Biggest Loser fame has a new book out. Now honestly, I have not read the book BUT I did see a copy of his *RULES*. I really thought that they both made a lot of sense AND were pretty adaptable to a low-carb lifestyle. I have them printed and next to my desk at work, on my bathroom and bedroom mirrors. I thought them helpful enough that I'd pass them along to you. Happy Weekend Wishes!!

Posting to Michael's Foodie Friday, Honey's Potpourri Friday and Sall's Farm Fresh Friday!