Greek Beans

Friday, January 4, 2013


I'm sure that you've heard the saying about necessity being the mother of invention -- this recipe is the proof. My need was a quick, hot meal -- one that would stick with me thru a couple hours of physical work -- but not something heavy AND most important, it had to be QUICK -- like 5 to 10 minutes quick because I needed to be out the door.



This was only going to be for me -- not a blog-worthy meal by any means.

A freezer check netted one of my favorite staples -- frozen French-Cut Green Beans.  I dug around in the refrigerator and came up with a couple more unlikely ingredients, put it all together and created what maybe a masterpiece. JK about the masterpiece but what I ended up with was so good that I have to admit I have eaten it more than once this week (truth-be-known, more than twice, lol). 

I've dubbed these Greek Beans and am sharing the recipe with you. The end result has a very *pasta-dish* like quality -- can't explain it any better than that but it reminded me very much of pasta. I like this for a quick lunch or dinner but you could double the recipe and have 5 side servings. Without further fanfare, I give you........

Greek Beans

2-1/2 c frozen French-cut Green Beans (this is 1/2 of a 16-oz bag)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fat of choice (olive oil or butter would work, but I have to say what I have used is rendered bacon drippings and that is DELICIOUS)
salt and pepper to taste (not too much salt because the feta cheese is salty)
1/4 c Feta cheese crumbles 

Put fat into medium-sized skillet, add minced garlic. Saute for a minute or two to begin the softening of the garlic. Add in frozen beans and saute for 5-7 minutes until cooked. Serve immediately topped with cheese. Serves 1.

Each serving has 424 calories, 15.49g carbs, 5.6g fiber = 9.71g net carbs