Muffins in Minutes

Sunday, January 6, 2013
Before I go any further, I decided that the first 2 weeks of this new year I was going to go back to the basics of my way of eating -- Atkin's Induction. That would get me on good footing after holiday eating. I don't stray too far from the net carb limits of induction ever -- I am a smaller stature person and 52 years old -- I have little in the way of tolerance for carbs so I generally stay to 20-30 net carbs per day. In induction I need to keep to 20 net carbs and avoid some of my more favorites non-induction friendly foods -- nuts, berries and seeds (with the exception of flaxseed meal). So many of my breakfast favorites are out.


One of the basics of Atkin's induction is what is called the MIM (Muffin in a Minute). I have never bothered with these because they are made in a microwave. After days of eating eggs for breakfast and missing the levels of dietary fiber my body is used to, I took a look at the basic MIM recipe and gave it a couple tweaks so it could be made in the oven and LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN!! You'll notice that my versions are called *Muffins in MINUTES* -- they don't take long to make (I stir them up and toss into the oven while I am doing hair and makeup in the morning) and you don't get this kind of flavor and texture from a microwave.
Gail's Pumpkin Muffin in Minutes

1/4 c flaxseed meal (I use Bob's Red Mill brand Golden Flaxseed meal -- zero net carbs)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp sweetener (or equalilent of liquid sweetener -- I use 1-2 squeezes of Stevia To Go)
dash of salt
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp maple extract
2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add extract, pumpkin puree, egg and melted butter and stir well. Turn out into a small greased ramekin. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or 2 and then run a knife around the edges and turn out. Serve with butter or cream cheese. Makes 1 serving. 

Each serving 204 calories, 9.51g carbs, 7.2g fiber = 2.41g net carbs


Gail's Mounds Muffin in Minutes

1/4 c flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
2 tsp Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
2-3 tsp sweetener
2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp sour cream
1 egg

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.  Add extract, sour cream, egg and melted oil and stir well. Turn out into a small greased ramekin. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool a minute or 2 and then run a knife around the edges and turn out. Serve with butter or cream cheese. Makes 1 serving. 

Each serving: calories 403, carbs 13.64g, fiber 10.3g = net carbs 3.30g