Pork Roast & Cabbage

Sunday, April 7, 2013
As a single, empty-nester, I don't buy a lot of large cuts of meats unless I have a plan to cook for a crowd. A few weeks ago I scored a great deal on a pork loin roast. I threw it into the freezer with the thought that I'd either cook it for Easter (we went a different direction) or I would cook it for the special man in my life (hadn't got around to that one).

Well, instead I decided to cook it just for ME  -- you see this week is going to be a challenging one for me. Working in the world of accounting, this week is going to be the final stretch before IRS deadline. I worked today -- day #7 in 13 days-in-a-row for me and will put in many, many more hours before I have my next day off (next Sunday). This little bit of cooking this afternoon will feed me a good portion of the week -- either lunches carried into the office or quick heated over dinners once I drag myself home. The plus is that this is low carb comfort food at it's finest!!
Roasted Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin & Cabbage

1 2-1/2lb pork loin roast
6 slices thick-cut bacon
salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme to taste
1 large head cabbage, shredded

Place roast in large roasting pan. In a single layer, arrange bacon slices over top, tucking under roast. Roast at 350°F for 1 hour. Shred head of cabbage (you can add whatever other veggies you'd like at this point -- I had a couple carrots that I added). After roast has cooked for 1 hour, arrange cabbage shreds around roast and return to oven and adjust temperature to 400°F and roast for an additional hour, turning cabbage often. 

This can easily be done in the crockpot too BUT you do not get the wonderful caramelization that you get from oven roasting -- that is what gives this simple dish so much flavor - well, the bacon does it's part too :)

I probably won't be posting again until after the 15th. Hoping you all have your tax *stuff* to your accountant by now :)