Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad

Wednesday, January 15, 2014
Okay, so this isn't technically my invention -- I first saw this on Nancy Fuller's Farmhouse Rules program. I was hooked on the thought of this combination of flavors. I did some research and found very similar recipes from bon appetit and Epicurious. I took those recipes, put my own twist (lowering carbs) and came up with a salad that is YUM!!


Kale & Brussels Sprout Salad

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about the juice of 1 lemon)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, finely minced
1/4 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Salad:
1 large bunches of kale, center stem discarded, leaves thinly sliced
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed, finely grated or shredded with a knife
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted


In a pint-sized canning jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and shake well to create an emulsion. Set aside and allow to sit and develop flavors.

In a food processor fitted with a slicing blade, shred the Brussels sprouts (you can also do this by hand with a knife, if you prefer). Chiffonade the kale and add to sprouts. Thinly slice onion and add to sprouts and kale combination. When ready to serve, toss Parmesan and pine nuts into shredded vegetables and toss well with dressing. Let the salad sit for 10 minutes before serving to allow the dressing to permeate the greens. Serves 8. Each serving 171 calories, 9.4g carbs, 3g fiber = 6.4g net carbs.

P.S. A fellow blogger, Cathy from Wives with Knives, whom I have followed for years beat me at making her own version of this salad -- it looks FABULOUS and I encourage you to give it a try too.