How Simple is THAT: Chicken Salad w/Sriracha Mayo

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I LOVE chicken salad and make a few different versions. In my catering days I made it by the tons, but this version just recently came to me -- something so simple and yet outstanding!

As temperatures get warmer and suppers get lighter here, this will be making lots of appearances on our menu!


A few things about the ingredients -- I like using chicken in my chicken salad -- what I mean is that I am not a big fan of canned chicken. If that is what you like, go right ahead and use it. On this day, I cooked off boneless, skinless chicken breasts -- it was what I had most of on hand BUT will many times use leftovers - especially those from a big old roaster, or I will pick up a rotisserie chicken from the deli. Use what you like best! Now about Sriracha, if you are not using it, you should be. TONS of flavor in just a small amount -- this whole recipe calls for 1 tsp which is only 1g carbohydrates = a very good low-carb value and a taste punch! 

Chicken Salad w/Sriracha Mayo

1-1/2 to 2-pounds cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1/2 purple onion, finely diced
1/4 c chopped cilantro
1 c mayonnaise (pick a brand with a zero carb count if possible)
1 tsp Sriracha 
salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Makes 6 servings. I serve this with avocado quarters. Each serving (without avocado) is 264 calories and 1.08g net carbs.
YUM!! Mr. Dreamy came in from the garden to this meal on the table. His first question was, "have you taken the pictures yet?" -- he gets me :)