Reuben Casserole

Thursday, May 1, 2014

A quick stop into our small town grocery store this morning netted me something I didn't think I would be cooking to usher in May -- a Corned Beef. Actually I picked up 3 of them because they were at cannot-pass-up pricing. I knew I needed to cook or freeze them today and only 2 fit in the freezer. That left one for cooking!
So I asked Mr. Dreamy, How do you feel about Reuben's?

He wasn't so sure he'd ever had one. I was sure I had AND I love them. My thought was make it in a casserole form instead of sandwich. I looked at a few Low-Carb Reuben Casserole recipes online and they all seemed to use ingredients I didn't necessarily think of when thinking of Reuben's so I stuck with the basics -- and this is what I came up with.


Reuben Casserole

1 Corned Beef 
1 14.5-ounce canned sauerkraut
8-ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
1 recipe low-carb 1000 Island Dressing (recipe below)
1 tsp caraway seeds, optional
Cook and cube your corned beef (this would be a perfect way to use leftovers or you could also use deli corned beef but that tends to be spendy) and place in a shallow baking dish.
Drain and rinse sauerkraut and spread evenly over corned beef. Then top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with caraway seeds if desired. Bake in 325°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is all melty and heated through.
Makes 6 servings. Drizzle each serving with Low Carb 1000 Island Dressing. Each serving contains 597 calories, 1.66g net carbs. These stats are for the casserole only. See dressing recipe for additional information.

Low-Carb 1000 Island Dressing

1 c mayonnaise
2 Tbsp SF Ketchup (I use my homemade - recipe here)
1 Tbsp dill pickle relish
2-3 drops liquid Stevia
1/4 tsp onion powder

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Store unused in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 6, 2 Tbsp servings. Each serving is 69 calories and 1.04g net carbs.

Quick note: Mr. Dreamy LIKED it and asked for the leftovers to get packed for his lunch!!